Need support with your current website? See my website support packages.
Strategic WordPress websites of every size
Every organization’s website needs and challenges are unique. I’m here to provide you with custom solutions and guidance at every stage of the web build process, and deliver an accessible WordPress website that truly meets your strategic goals.
I’ll consider your scope, budget and timeline and apply my extensive experience working with progressive organizations to build your website. Your new site will look great, allow your key users to find what they’re looking for quickly, and be easy for you to work with.
Website Project Phases
Every website I build goes through the same project phases. I’ll customize the process to match your website’s strategic needs, size, budget and timeline. If needed, I’ll assemble a team of web professionals to help me build your site.
Discovery & Strategy
- I’ll prioritize understanding your organizational goals so I can translate them into your new website’s structure and design, and make content recommendations.
- I’ll look at the issues, work with you to come up with the best approach, and document my findings.
- I’ll work with a designer who will create some key designs, using sample content you provide, to confirm brand alignment.
- Once those are approved, we’ll design your site’s inner elements and ensure they align with your site’s technical needs.
- Every site I build is on a custom coded theme with a baseline of WCAG 2.1 AA standards.
- I’ll build custom page and post templates with taxonomies to organize your content and allow you to input the designs easily.
- I’ll build your site locally, put it on a staging server, and train you to use it and test it.
- I’ll share best practices for accessibility and SEO.
- I’ll use appropriate technology and take care of all the details, so you don’t have to (SSL/HTTPS set up, standard and best practice plugins like security, back up, SEO, analytics, caching).
Content Uploading & Support
- I’ll hand the site over to you at this stage, and train you to upload content to the site. Depending on your budget, I can do some, or all, of that for you.
- While I’ll be mostly in the background, I’ll teach you best practices for accessible content, and provide support.
Launch & Maintenance
- Once you’re happy with your site, I’ll launch it publicly.
- I’ll help you maintain your site and keep technology up to date after launch.
I offer three web development service levels, plus ongoing website support packages.
- For tighter budgets and timelines
- Research and discovery via surveys
- Simple design, a style tile, and mockups of a few key pages, or working with existing client designs
- Streamlined web development with appropriate technology and functionality
- Training for client to upload website content
- Best practice documentation and training materials
- For sites that need to grow and scale with your organization
- One facilitated discovery session and high-level content strategy
- Design mockups of some web pages
- Custom WordPress build with landing pages and more extensive content setup and functionality
- Uploading of some website content
- Best practice documentation, training materials and in-person training for project leads
- For complex websites with a lot of content or third party integrations
- Several facilitated discovery sessions as needed, and detailed content strategy
- Design mockups of several web pages
- Complex WordPress build with multiple page types, landing pages and secondary navigation
- Uploading of most website content
- Best practice documentation, training materials and in-person training for project leads and staff members
These can be added to your website build, as you need them. Optional services are billed hourly.
- Accessibility Testing – arranging for site testing by users with disabilities and professional accessibility advocates.
- Content Strategy – facilitating content strategy conversations to help you assess, write and edit your web content pre-launch, and maintaining content post-launch.
- Content Uploading – manually uploading some, or all, of your content to your website back end.
- Design Support – can include refreshing your branding or creating a new brand, updating brand materials, or designing custom infographics or share graphics for social media.
- Writing & Editing – researching and writing website content, and different levels of editing, from proofreading and copy editing (high level) to substantive editing (in-depth).